Chief Financial Officer
Location: South San Francisco, CA
Blade Therapeutics is advancing novel anti-fibrotic therapies to meet important patient needs in an area that has seen little innovation to date. Several rare/orphan and chronic debilitating conditions manifest as a consequence of fibrosis, a complex, pathologic process in which progressive scarring replaces functional tissue. We are seeking to develop therapies to modify disease progression, and in some cases, potentially reverse the fibrotic damage to tissue.
Blade is advancing a risk-diversified product portfolio to address various fibrotic diseases and their underlying pathophysiology. The Company has assembled a critical mass of fibrosis expertise and a top-tier leadership team and world-class network of advisors with unparalleled experience in anti-fibrotic drug R&D. Blade’s founding programs are based on the discoveries of Hal Dietz, M.D., Victor A. McKusick Professor of Genetics and Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, whose pioneering research has elucidated a biological pathway that is enabling the discovery of small molecules to treat and potentially reverse fibrosis.
Blade’s objective is to be the leading anti-fibrotic company with a pipeline of novel therapies designed to address the unmet needs for innovative treatments to treat various fibrotic conditions.
Role: Chief Financial Officer
Seeking an executive with a demonstrated track record of raising capital, successfully managing investor relations, oversight of internal financial controls, internal audit, GAAP and SEC compliance, treasury and cash management.
The executive must have excellent forecasting, modeling, and annual budgeting skills and a track record of building company value.
The candidate will have past oversight of all financial and accounting functions including accounting and payroll staff. The candidate will have had experience interfacing with auditors and tax consultants, and preparation of budgets and forecasts.
The Chief Financial Officer will have responsibility for financial management of the entire business reporting directly to the CEO and the Board. This individual will be a hard-working team player and a “roll up your sleeves” individual.
- Responsible for managing the accounting for the US and a foreign subsidiary.
- Manages departmental budget to plan, communicating major deviations and impacts to board and senior management.
- Develop and prepare quarterly and monthly financial reporting packages.
- Serve as a strategic and operational partner with to CEO and other senior managers in determining key business objectives.
- Prepare annual budgets and interim forecasts
- Manage company’s option-based incentive plan.
- Manage all financial functions, including payroll, accounting, contract negotiation, appropriate controls, processes and financial systems.
- Manage all tax preparation, regulatory, and audit workflows internally and with outside 3rd parties.
- Manage all aspect of the annual financial audit
- Prepare loan reporting packages and serve as primary point of contact with lenders.
- Develop strategic plan assessing opportunities and risk for IPO along with preparing SEC filings as a publicly traded companies including S1, 10Ks, 10Qs, etc.
- Manage fundraising efforts completing necessary reports, analysis and documents to be presented to potential investors.
- Prepare financial board decks to present to board members and investors at board meetings.
- Prepare financial statements and reports reflecting current and future financial status of the company to be presented to the board, shareholders and management team.
- Work collaboratively in a team environment with both management and staff in a positive manner; contribute to making the company a great place to work.
- Ability to mentor and develop staff in the department as needed but also roll up the sleeves and be hands on in a lean start-up environment.
- Experience in public and private biotech companies is highly desirable including execution of initial public offerings.
- Experience in implementing financial systems and preparing SEC 10Ks and 10Qs is required.
- Excellent leadership and organizational skills, written and verbal communication skills, and interpersonal skills are required; must be able to effectively use these skills to influence many diverse internal and external customer groups at various levels within organizations.
- Must be experienced in staff and organizational development, motivating. personnel/teams, and providing effective coaching, training and development.
- Demonstrated consistent achievement of team delivery against commitments and goals.
- Strategic thinker and problem-solver capable of identifying risks and risk mitigation strategies.
- Strong teamwork, negotiation and influencing skills, able to work in a team setting and establish clear and consistent goals and objectives.
- Must be hands on, detailed oriented, self-driven and goal-oriented, and able to multi-task to achieve results.
- Must be able to adhere to strict project timelines and budgets, and to helm and advise teams and management of impacts and changes in project time-lines.
- Ability to manage changing priorities, evaluate impact, and communicate timeline and resource impacts to project teams and management is required.
- “Out of the box” thinker, to take on calculated risks, and champion new ideas and approaches.
- Significant travel may be required
- Graduate degree and at least 15 years’ experience
- An attractive compensation package commensurate with this senior leadership role will be provided.
Blade Therapeutics Is An Equal Opportunity Employer