Manager Facilities and Operations
Location: San Francisco, CA
Blade Therapeutics (“Blade”) is advancing novel anti-fibrotic therapies to meet important patient needs in an area that has seen little innovation to date. Several rare/orphan and chronic debilitating conditions manifest as a consequence of fibrosis, a complex, pathologic process in which progressive scarring replaces functional tissue. We are seeking to develop therapies to modify disease progression, and in some cases, potentially reverse the fibrotic damage to tissue.
Blade is advancing a risk-diversified product portfolio to address various fibrotic diseases and their underlying pathophysiology. Blade has assembled a critical mass of fibrosis expertise and a top-tier leadership team and world-class network of advisors with unparalleled experience in anti-fibrotic drug R&D. Blade’s founding programs are based on the discoveries of Hal Dietz, M.D., Victor A. McKusick Professor of Genetics and Medicine, Johns Hopkins University, whose pioneering research has elucidated a biological pathway that is enabling the discovery of small molecules to treat and potentially reverse fibrosis.
Blade’s objective is to be the leading anti-fibrotic company with a pipeline of novel therapies designed to address the unmet needs for innovative treatments to treat various fibrotic conditions.
Role: Manager Facilities and Operations
Directs the design, planning, construction and maintenance of an organization's facilities and properties. Directly responsible for managing environmental health and safety (EH&S) programs and lab operations in an R&D environment. Responsible for developing budgets and long-range facilities plans based on company growth and future needs. Oversees the functioning of all building systems including mechanical, electrical, fire/life safety, plumbing, and waste management. Monitors budgets and approves contracts. Oversees contractors involved in facility projects and delivery of services. Ensures building operations comply with all local zoning laws and regulations. Creates functional strategies and specific objectives for the sub-function and develops budgets/policies/procedures to support the functional infrastructure.
- Supports the development and implementation of EH&S programs and completion of required environmental reports.
- Supports audits and evaluation of current policies, procedures, and documentation to assure compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
- Communicates and enforces laboratory safety rules to internal and external researchers working in the lab.
- Support overall office, laboratory, and facilities. Perform daily inspections to identify any safety and tenant improvements issues.
- Manage facility and routine R&D supply budget, spending and project tracking.
- Act as a liaison and communicate with property management, building engineers, and vendors with facilities related concerns (Lighting, smoke detectors, sprinklers systems, HVAC, etc.).
- Lead facilities vendor relationships, ensuring work is being performed to scope in a safe and timely manner.
- Managing orders for lab/office materials, furnishings, supplies, and equipment with an understanding of cost savings.
- Build and manage productive relationships with network of commercial brokers and landlords.
- Develop construction estimates for capital projects as necessary and communicate with management regarding major project progress, budget status and changes.
- Lead planning, designing, development, deployment, and implementation of construction projects, environmental systems and controls, equipment installations, facility expansions, modifications, upgrades, and repairs.
- Assist in financial analysis and presentation of deal structures to senior leadership team.
- Utilize Point Purchasing system and reports verify that spending is in approved budgets prior to entering into any commitments.
- Develop strategies to minimize impact of construction/maintenance activities on laboratory operations, teammate experience, health, and safety.
- Oversee preventive maintenance programs including HVAC, plumbing, and electrical.
- Monitor security system and subcontractor coordination (locksmiths and access control).
- Manage selection, work scope, contracts, payment, schedule, and evaluation of outside consultants.
- Serve as point of contact to regulatory agencies.
- Relocate, assemble, and install of office and lab furniture (keyboard trays, chairs, etc.)
- Manage preventive maintenance schedules for all building equipment, including facilities related equipment in labs to ensure minimal downtime.
- Seven to ten years’ experience in facilities or plant operations management required.
- Related experience in a biotech/pharmaceutical environment.
- Prior experience in development and implementation of EH&S compliance audit program.
- Ability to design, develop, and implement management systems including safety and health programs.
- In depth knowledge of the shipping & receiving function and ability to support the needs of the team.
- Strong technical, written, verbal, and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with a demonstrated ability to maintain clear, accurate and up-to-date records.
- The candidate should be driven, have experience working in a cross-disciplinary team and thrive in a dynamic start-up environment.
- Previous experience with Point Purchasing in order to track and control spending and improve procurement efficiency.
- Experience with executing minor repairs such as carpentry and plumbing.
- Ability to be hands-on and thrive in a role with multiple projects in a growth-oriented environment.
- Ability to proactively problem solve and manage projects requiring attention to detail and be able to analyze a situation to recognize patterns in order to identify any underlying issues.
- Excellent teamwork skills and proven ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent time management, organizational and follow-up skills.
- Proven ability to manage a variety of high-quality tasks and projects on time, while maintaining a calm demeanor in high pressure situations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- An attractive compensation package commensurate with this leadership role will be provided.
Interested applicants, please send resume to: Marianne Eid
Blade Therapeutics Is An Equal Opportunity Employer